Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Time flies when you are having fun...

But, it really flies when you are getting old!!! Although, I guess in some way getting old is kinda fun. Okay, maybe not, but I don't want to start out sounding like a pessimist!!

Not that I am all that old, but lately things are going on to make me feel really old!! Today, my best friend's daughter got her driver's license. Yeah, I know, right?? When I met this girl, she was so tiny and would crawl into my lap to snuggle. Well, she's still tiny but, oh, so grown up at the same time. Anyway, she was 5 years old when her mom and I became great friends. I was lovingly referred to as "Daddy Erin" for many years of this child's life. Her sperm donor (okay, fine, her father) was not in the picture, and I was often called in to help out with sensitive issues. Anyway, skip forward a bunch of years, and this child - now, a young woman - holds a special place in my heart. So, I am so proud of her for accomplishing one of life's many milestones! SLR, "Congratulations!! I love you."

Speaking of life's milestones...my youngest Mann is starting Kindergarten next week. Double whammy, huh??

Wow, there's another reference that makes me feel really old. Do y'all remember the game show called "Press Your Luck"? You know, the little gremlin-lookin' thing would come out with the evil laugh and steal the contestants' money...The contestants would take their "spin" and sit and chant "No whammy, no whammy"...Any takers on that one...anyone, anyone??? (Of course the "anyone, anyone" makes me think of "Ferris Bueller's Day Off"...yet another of those "I'm dating myself" thoughts)...

Back to the youngest Mann...So, Austin starts kindergarten on Monday, and it still feels like last week that we brought him home from the hospital. (Maybe because he still acts like it was just last week...) He says he is ready, and I say I am ready for him to go...BUT...it still makes me feel really old. I can't believe my "baby" is going off to "big boy school". I honestly think he only wants to go, because he can ride the big bus with his brother! (LOL) You know all little boys want to ride on big trucks, trains, and buses...at least, both of mine did! Today in the car he asked his brother, "Sean, can I sit by you on the bus?" And his brother's response... "Everybody's gonna see and hear all the mean things you do to me." OMG...are you kidding me right now?? Their school is 2 miles from our driveway, and the eldest is worried about what the "Little Mann" might do...What is wrong with this picture??

Okay, I keep rambling and going off track...yet another sign I am getting old, right??? LMAO!! (Mom Mann, keep your mouth shut on that one)

Tomorrow is orientation and open house at the boys' school. I am kinda excited to see Austin's reaction to his new classroom. For the last 3 years he has been at the same school, and the last year he was going with me everyday as I went to work. It should be very interesting...BUT...I know, there's that "but" again...I am hoping the kids in kindergarten will force him to get over the whole baby act. I swear if he keeps it up everyday, they are gonna tear him up... The eldest moves to 3rd grade this year. He is excited, because his class moves upstairs this year! Oh yeah, he's in the big time now!! Weird as it sounds, that kinda makes me feel old, too. You know, your baby is sent UPSTAIRS to school everyday...so far from the clinic and the principal and the front doors...okay, I am done.

1 comment:

  1. He's my baby, too. I can't beleive all of the kids are getting so up there. Am I? Yikes, scary. Anyway, be sure to let us know how that goes.

    ReplyDelete